Microphones are small but powerful gadgets that can be used to record your conversation within a certain range. In order to prevent scammers from snooping on your most confidential and most private conversations, you can use a microphone jammer.
Presenting 3 Methods to Jam Microphones
There are three main methods to jam microphones:
- RF Jammers – Radio Frequency jammers are generally used to prevent communication in a particular area. In the presence of an RF Jammer you are most likely not going to receive any signal on your communication device. In this way you can block your eavesdroppers by blocking the bug's receiver and preventing it from receiving commands from its operator.
- Audio Jammers – Audio jammers create a unique mask sound on the microphones in order to prevent extraction of your voice from the recorded conversation. These devices produce an ambient white noise, audible to human ears, which masks the normal speech conversations, hence making the recording device useless.
- Ultrasonic Jammers – The final kind of microphone jammers use a powerful barrier in the ultrasonic range to thwart the function of any bugging device. The barrier created through this technology is much more powerful and effective than any other technology. By creating an ultrasonic field around the given area, you can render all microphones useless while continuing your conversations covertly.
The benefits of Ultrasonic jammers over RF and Audio Jammers
While one can use either of the technologies in order to thwart any snooping attempts at you, using an ultrasonic jammer gives you some unique advantage over other technologies. Here are a few of them:
- Ultrasonic Jammers can be easily installed anywhere in the meeting room. You can protect your conversations in a room without offending anyone with suspicion.
- They are incredibly silent. High quality Ultrasonic jammers produce sounds only in the ultrasonic range which are inaudible to human ears. At the same time, they are incredibly powerful to thwart the recording activities of any nearby microphone.
- And finally, it works to block all kinds of snooping devices. Be it a cell phone's microphone, wireless recorders, or a professional bugging device, an ultrasonic jammer will work to distort every device's recording capacity.
Ultrasonic jammers types
Ultrasonic jammers do come in variety of forms as per your requirements.
- Portable jammers – You can activate these jammers with press of a button. These devices can be small devices that can be carried in your pocket with ease or larger devices that can be carried with a suitcase. Their battery life and their jamming area will be determined by their size – although the small ones can be concealed very easily, they will cover a very small area and they will have a short battery life of about an hour, while the larger ones will jam for a larger cover area and for longer time that can get even to three or four hours.
- Fixed jammers – While compact and easy to carry jammers do their work well in a secluded area, you might come across an application where the jammer need to be in operating condition at all times of the day. In such a situation, you should consider using jammers that can be attached on to your wall and plugged in through an outlet. Nowadays, concealed panels are being created specially to install jammers that are operable all the time. In addition, some of the portable jammers may be plugged to your electricity and work as fixed jammers.
Jammers can also be selected according to the range and direction you want to use it for.
Directional jammers – These kinds of jammers emit strong radiations in the only one direction of the installed device. These are helpful when you want to distort the signal of a small known sector of direction and range. This is very useful when you install it on a corner of the meeting room to gain the maximal jamming coverage from it, or when you direct it at the suspected person you want to go to a meeting and are unsure whether your conversations are being recorded or not. Just use the device from a suitable distance and from the right direction, and you can be sure about the confidentiality of your conversations.
Omni-Directional jammers – The second kind of jammers emit ultrasonic frequencies in all directions in the area they are installed in. These are useful when you have someone coming over in an unfamiliar environment and want to stop anyone from snooping in on your conversations.
These jammers are can distort the microphones within a significant range.
How Ultrasonic jammer works
Ultrasonic jamming of nearby microphones is possible because of the strong ultrasonic signals produced by these devices that are inaudible to the human ear. After the nearby microphones capture these high-frequency signals, their signal leaks into the audible spectrum, creating a distortion field inside the microphones.
These distortions are due to the ability of microphones to generate electrical output which is directly proportional to the amplitude of the incoming sound. These electrical signals are stored in non-linear frequency band ranges.
The jammer produces a carefully crafted ultrasonic signal which passes on to the microphone's membrane via the amplifier and a low-pass filter. When the membrane captures this signal, it leaks into the audible frequency range of the device and renders any audio input to the device useless.
By using multiple high-frequency transducers in an ultrasonic jammer, the jamming devices are able to distort microphone recording devices in the range up to ten meters.
The physical distance covered by any ultrasonic transducer depends on three factors:
- The power level of the ultrasonic transducer
- The ultrasonic signal's frequency band
- The volume it passes through – Placing the jammer inside a meeting room will create multipath which can effectively increase the jamming area.
Generally, an ultrasonic transducer operates at the lower end of the ultrasonic frequency range, somewhere around 25 kHz. By adding multiple transducers at the other bands, we can increase the range, directivity, and the strength of the ultrasonic jammer.
Tips for installing the jammer
You have to make sure that you have a good reason to purchase and install a microphone jammer in your vicinity. Installing jammers unnecessarily for the sake of having one installed will only do harm to your devices.
Here are key points you should keep in mind when installing an ultrasonic jammer:
- These jammers will block all kinds of microphones in their range. That includes your own cell phone's mic system that will render it useless. So, unless you are very sure about the urgency of the system, avoid using a jammer.
- Unlike RF jammers, acoustic waves travel by air and can be blocked by obstacles, therefore these devices should not be installed inside enclosures such as cabinets and drawers or outside the room that is to be protected.
- Jammers emit high pitch ultrasonic noise that is audible to some animals. Make sure your pets are kept safely away from these high-frequency sounds in order to avoid any kind of confusion among them.
- Jammers can raise suspicion among the members that are present in a given meeting and might cause offence to some of them as well. You should remain discreet about its installation and their operation.
- High-end jammer vendors allow ordering jammers according to your own custom requirements. Be sure to consult an expert in order to understand what you really need.
Overall, installing a jammer might be as easy to plug in a device and switch it on, but one has to tread carefully before walking on the path to safeguard their private conversations.
Ultrasonic Jammers use high-frequency sound ranges to disable any kind of snooping activities going around in a region. This can be crucial if you want to safeguard your private and confidential conversation.
Now it is up to you to make sure that you use this technology judiciously and responsibly. If used in the correct way, it can go on to make wonders and ensure that your privacy is safeguarded at all cost.